Moving home

If you are looking to move to a smaller or larger home, or to a different area, there are several ways to find a new home.

Mutual exchange

Most tenants find the easiest and quickest way to move is through mutual exchange. This is where you swap homes with another tenant, who can be either a resident of ours or of another housing association or council. 

It is up to you to find another resident who wants to exchange homes with you. The best places to start are Homes Direct and Swap and Move. These are free online services which list properties for rent, sale and exchange and are linked to the national home swap scheme. At present there are more than 5,000 tenants registered for mutual exchange, covering the Midlands and Lincolnshire. 

Find out more about exchanging your home.

Choice-based letting schemes

If you are looking to move to another housing association or council home, you need to register with the choice-based letting scheme covering the area where you want to live. This will allow you to see and 'bid' for suitable homes as they become available. 

Find out more about choice-based letting schemes

Buying a home through shared ownership

Shared ownership, or part-buy part-rent, helps people who cannot afford to buy to become homeowners. You start by buying a share of a property that you can afford and pay rent on the rest. If you want to, you can buy further shares later on and could eventually own your home outright.

Find out more about shared ownership.

Waterloo Homes residents

If you are a shared owner, leaseholder or market rent tenant, please go to the Waterloo Homes website

Go to Waterloo Homes Sold - Copy.jpg