Non-dependant deductions / Housing costs contribution

Non-dependant deductions affect anyone claiming Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support who has a non-dependant adult living with them. Under Universal Credit these will be known as Housing costs contributions.

Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support claimants

A non-dependant is any adult aged 18 or over, apart from your partner or joint tenant, who lives in your home. This could include your parents, adult sons or daughters, other relatives or friends. It does not include lodgers who pay you rent.

It is your responsibility to let your local council know that you have a non-dependant living with you. They will expect the non-dependants to pay towards the running costs of your home, including rent and council tax charges, and will make deductions from your benefits to allow for this. The deductions will apply whether or not the non-dependant actually pays you anything.

The amount deducted will depend upon how much the non-dependant earns or is paid in benefits. 

These deductions only apply while the non-dependant is living with you. However, if they move out and leave you with a spare bedroom, your Housing Benefit will  be cut under the Bedroom tax.

There are some exemptions to this rule. You can find out more on the Shelter website.

Universal Credit claimants

A deduction will be made from the housing costs element of your Universal Credit for each non-dependant aged over 21 in your household.

The amount deducted will be a fixed amount of £69.37 per month for each non-dependant, regardless of their income.

Certain claimants are exempt from this. You can find out more on the Turn2us website

Pay your rent at a time to suit you

You can pay your rent or view a rent statement at any time using Your Waterloo

If you have a rent query or are having trouble paying your rent, our Rents Team are available during the following times:

Monday 8:30 - 5:00
Tuesday 8:30 - 7:30
Wednesday 8:30 - 7:30
Thursday 8:30 - 7:30
Friday 8:30 - 5:00
Saturday 9:00 - 3:00

To speak to someone from our Rents Team, please call 0800 435 016 and select 'option 3' or email

Easier ways to pay your rent

We work with allpay to offer you a range of easy, safe and flexible ways to pay your rent.

Paying your rent allpay logo