Fire is one of the biggest killers in the home. We try to ensure that your home is a safe and enjoyable place to live, but every year some residents’ homes and lives are destroyed by fire.
Here are some things you can do to prevent fires and keep your home as safe as possible:
If you live in one of our apartment blocks, you must keep all communal areas, such as hallways and entrances, clear of any items. These areas must not be used for storage of personal belongings or for dumping rubbish as it restricts clear access and poses a very serious fire risk. If there is a fire in your building, you need to be able to get out quickly and safely.
On the advice of the Fire Service, we will remove any items causing a fire risk. If you see anything that should not be left in a communal area, please report it to us by calling our Contact Centre on 0800 435 016.
You’re at least four times more likely to die in a fire in the home if there’s no working smoke alarm. It only takes a moment and gives your family and people you care about a better chance of surviving a fire.
Get into the habit of testing them on the 1st of every month.
If you put too many plugs in one socket it can start a fire, so do not overload electrical sockets. Only use bar adaptors and don’t plug one adaptor into another.
Turn electrical appliances off at the wall when you are not using them (unless designed to remain on, e.g. fridge)
Don’t place lights or candles near curtains or other fabrics or put anything on top of them. Don't leave lighted candles unattended.
Always keep heaters at least one meter away from clothes or fabric furnishings. Ensure lights and heaters are turned off when not in use and candles are completely out.
Most fires start when people are cooking. Never leave cooking unattended.
Stub cigarettes out properly and dispose of them carefully. Put them out. Right out. More people die in fires caused by smoking than by anything else.
Plan your escape route and make sure everyone knows how to get out in a fire.
In the event of a fire, get out, stay out and call 999.
|Fire safety in the home, 665 k||Download|